Dr. Gorski is a four year research-track clinical fellow in Gynecologic Oncology at the University of Kentucky Markey Cancer. He is the first fellow in the division to receive sponsorship through a NIH T32: Oncology Research Training for Surgeon-Scientists grant. He completed his residency training in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai in New York, NY where he was recognized as an outstanding medical student educator with multiple teaching awards. He received his Medical Doctorate from the Drexel University College of Medicine in Philadelphia, PA with special recognition in Gross Anatomy. Prior to medical school, Dr. Gorski spent two years performing basic science research that focused on modulating the innate immune system to decrease neuronal damage after stroke at Columbia University Medical Center in New York, NY. He received his Bachelors of Science in Molecular Genetics from the University of Rochester.
Dr. Gorski’s current interests include translational, precision-based targeting of epithelial ovarian cancer with the goal of personalizing cancer care. He is currently working in Dr. Jill Kolesar’s laboratory at the Markey Cancer Center to establish primary ovarian cancer in a patient derived xenograft (PDX) model and an organoid cell culture model which will allow for in vivo testing of therapeutics and in vitro screens. He is also working toward identification of novel key driver genetic mutations with next-generation genetic sequencing to elucidate the underlying mechanisms that drive oncogenesis. A bioinformatics algorithm developed at the University of Kentucky is being employed to assist with a rational-based selection of targeted therapies. The most current work has focused on investigating the mechanisms of taxol and PARP resistance.
1. Gorski JW, Chuang L, Allergic Reaction to Dermabond in Gynaecologic Surgery, Clinical Case Studies and Reports, 2018 July.
2. Gorski JW, Taylor JS, Zhang J, Liu J and Jazaeri AA. Hormonal Based Treatment of Ovarian Anaplastic Ependymoma with Anastrozole. Gynecologic Oncology Reports. 2017 Mar 14:20:93-96. PMID 28393092.
3. Ducruet, AF, Zacharia, BE, Sosunov SA, Gigante PR, Yeh ML, Gorski JW, Otten ML, Hwang RY, DeRosa PA, Hickman ZL, Sergot P, Connolly ES. Complement inhibition promotes endogenous neurogenesis and sustained anti-inflammatory neuroprotection following reperfused stroke. PLoS One. 2012;7(6):e38664. 2012 Jun 26. PMID: 22761695.
4. Ducruet, AF, Sosunov S, Zacharia BE, Gorski J, Yeh ML, Derosa P, Cohen G, Gigante PR, Connolly ES Jr. The Neuroprotective Effect of Genetic Mannose-binding Lectin Deficiency is not Sustained in the Sub-acute Phase of Stroke. Transl Stroke Res. 2011 Dec;2(4):588-599. 2011 Aug 23. PMID: 22505955.
5. Gigante PR, Appelboom G, Hwang BY, Haque RM, Yeh ML, Ducruet AF, Kellner CP, Gorski J, Keesecker SE, Connolly ES Jr. Isoflurane preconditioning affords functional neuroprotection in a murine model of intracerebral hemorrhage. Acta Neurochir Suppl. 2011;111:141-4. PMID: 21725745.
6. Ducruet AF, Hickman ZL, Zacharia BE, Narula R, Grobelny BT, Gorski JW, Connolly ES. Intracranial Infectious Aneurysms: A Comprehensive Review. Neurosurgical Review. 2010 Jan; 33(1):37-46. PMID: 19838745.
7. Ducruet AF, Hickman ZL, Zacharia BE, Arias EJ, Grobelny BE, Gorski JW, Connolly ES. Genetic Determinants of Cerebral Vasospasm and Outcome Following Aneurysmal Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. 2010 Apr;30(4):676-88. PMID: 20068580.
8. Barone TA, Gorski JW, Greenberg SJ and Plunkett RJ. Estrogen increases survival in an orthotopic model of glioblastoma. Journal of Neuro-Oncology. 2009 Oct;95(1):37-48. PMID: 19415456.
9. Ye F, Che Y, McMillen E, Gorski JW, Brodman D, Saw D, Jiang B, Zhang DY. The effect of Scutellaria baicalensis on the signaling network in hepatocellular carcinoma cells. Nutrition and Cancer: An International Journal. 2009; 61(4):530-7 PMID: 19838925.
- Gorski, JW ; Zhang, Z.; McCorkle, JR ; DeJohn, JM ; Wang, C.; Miller, RW ; Gallion, HH ; Dietrich, CS ; Ueland, FR ; Kolesar, JM "Utilizing Patient-Derived Epithelial Ovarian Cancer Tumor Organoids to Predict Carboplatin Resistance." Biomedicines 9, 8 (2021): [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- McCorkle, JR ; Gorski, JW ; Liu, J.; Riggs, MB ; McDowell, AB ; Lin, N.; Wang, C.; Ueland, FR ; Kolesar, JM "Lapatinib and poziotinib overcome ABCB1-mediated paclitaxel resistance in ovarian cancer." PloS one 16, 8 (2021): e0254205. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Gorski, JW ; Ueland, FR ; Kolesar, JM "CCNE1 Amplification as a Predictive Biomarker of Chemotherapy Resistance in Epithelial Ovarian Cancer." Diagnostics (Basel, Switzerland) 10, 5 (2020): [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Gorski, JW ; Quattrone, M ; Van Nagell, JR ; Pavlik, EJ "Assessing the Costs of Screening for Ovarian Cancer in the United States: An Evolving Analysis." Diagnostics (Basel, Switzerland) 10, 2 (2020): [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]