Eligibility Requirements

Female student sitting on the University of Kentucky welcome sign

The BIRCWH program is designed for junior faculty who have the potential to establish their own funded research programs. Applicants must have faculty appointments or qualify for joint appointment in the Colleges of Medicine, Public Health, Pharmacy, Nursing, Health Sciences, Education, Arts & Sciences, or Dentistry.

Candidates must be U.S. citizens or non-citizen nationals, or must have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence and possess an Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-151 or I-55) or some other verification of legal admission as a permanent resident.

At the time support begins, Scholars may not have served as the principal investigator or equivalent on an NIH research project (R01) or Mentored Research Scientist Development Award (K08) or their equivalent, a subproject of a program project (P01) or center grant (P50, U54), or equivalent PHS research grant awards. Scholars may not accept or hold any other PHS award that duplicates the provisions of this career award. Preference will be given to candidates in tenure-track appointments.

During their tenure as BIRCWH Scholars, participants are required to apply for independent research grant support. When a BIRCWH Scholar obtains a federally funded extramural award, they will be considered to have successfully completed the BIRCWH training. Although NIH requires that BIRCWH salary support be terminated when a Scholar receives extramural funding, Scholars may still participate in the training and mentoring aspects of the BIRCWH program, if they so desire.

Faculty members located off campus are eligible to participate in the program but will need to demonstrate an ability to participate in all required activities and to contribute to the development of a cohesive infrastructure in women's health research.